The Investigative/Overpayment Recovery unit is responsible for investigating all claims of improper receipt of public assistance benefits.
The Early Detection and Prevention (EDP) program identifies and investigates questionable cases prior to benefits being issued.
The Income Eligibility Verification System (IEVS) program is a computer cross-match of public records, such as tax and employment records.
The unit accepts referrals of suspected fraud from any sources and will conduct investigations on all reports. Persons making reports can remain anonymous. You do not have to identify yourself when making a fraud referral.
This unit BENEFIT RECOVERY is responsible for collection of any overpayment for any programs administered by CDFS. There are five (5) methods of recovery of an overpayment:
- If the assistance group is on assistance, monthly food stamp allotment and/or OWF (cash) is reduced by 10% or
- The assistance group agrees to a repayment plan to make regular monthly payments or
- The assistance group makes a onetime payment for the amount of the overpayment or
- Attachment of the assistance group's IRS or Ohio State Income Tax Refund (There are certain situations established by Ohio Department of Job and Family Services when this can be done).
- If you are receiving Social Security Benefits, your Social Security Benefit can be reduced to repay the overpayment.
Please be aware that Warren County DHS is required to pursue overpayment collection regardless whether the overpayment was a result of client or agency error.
OTHER WAYS TO REPORT FRAUD IN OHIO :