The process of a jury trial:
- Jury selection: question-and-answer session with the attorneys (or unrepresented parties) and jurors.
- Opening statements are delivered by each party.
- Presentation of evidence and testimony of witnesses - plaintiff presents evidence and asks questions first, then the defendant.
- Closing arguments are delivered by each party.
- The judge presents jury instructions (also called "charging the jury") which may include certain rules on what may be discussed during deliberations.
- Case is given to the jury for deliberation.
- Verdict is announced in open court.